2020 Motorcycle Cannonball Details
In early September 2020, one hundred or so Motorcycle Cannonball riders will start a two-week journey across the United States on motorcycles built before 1930.
The competition will involve correctly navigating the route using each day’s Course Instructions. The winner for each class will be the motorcycle and its rider that covers the most on-route mileage over the 16-day run, within each day’s specified time schedule and in compliance with the Event Regulations.
2020 Motorcycle and Rider Submission Form
We are no longer accepting submissions for the 2020 Motorycle Cannonball, all further submissions will be placed on the waiting list.
Note: all information and blanks must be filled out on the form below.
2020 Motorcycle Cannonball Classes
Century Competition Class (Pre 1920 Motorcycles)
Class 1: Single Cylinder Motorcycles
Class 2: Multi Cylinder Motorcycles, Single Speed
Class 3: Multi Cylinder Motorcycles, Multi Speed
90 Year Division
Class 1: 600CC and Below
Class 2: 601cc to 1000cc
Class 3: 101cc and above
2020 Motorcycle Requirements
Motorcycle entries must have been manufactured in 1929 or earlier. Generally, any motorcycle manufactured in 1929 or earlier as originally manufactured and/or modified in its year of manufacture is eligible for entry.
- Motorcycles must be and appear original in nature, period correct modifications and customizations are ok; No modern replica machines are allowed!!
- Engine Cases and Transmission Cases must be original
- Period correct Transmissions only: No late model 4 speed transmissions
- Period Correct carburetors: Linkert, Schebler,etc; No late model carbs allowed (S&S, Mikuni, etc)
- Maintian speeds of 45 mph
- All motorcycles must have the required equipment for lawful operation on public roads and highways in their State/Province/Country of registration.
- Current state or province registration and insurance
- An electrical head lamp, legally acceptable for riding at night
- One working tail light, one working stop (brake) light, and one red reflector on the rear of the motorcycle
- Two rear-view mirrors, one on each side
- Operational fire extinguisher, dry chemical, at least 2½ pounds A/B/C
- First aid kit
- Emergency flares or reflectors
- Container of drinking water
- Tool kit
- Fuel capacity may be increased.
- Auxiliary tank(s) may be added provided they meet Federal and State requirements, are properly vented, and do not detract from the appearance of the motorcycle.
- All gasoline containers must meet applicable federal safety standards.
- A FUEL RANGE OF 65 TO 100 MILES IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. We will recommend that vehicles with a range of between 65 and 90 miles carry additional fuel on certain Stages.
- Wheels and Tires
- Modern wheels are acceptable but must look period correct as much as possible
- Riders may use beaded type tires instead of clincher tires
- Electrical charging systems including generator/alternator and battery may be added.
- Modern Magnetos are allowed
- For safety brakes systems may be upgraded.
- Conversion from a one-wheel brake system to a two-wheel brake system is permissible.
- Disk brakes are allowed.
- Speedometer/Odometer: Each competing motorcycle may have one speedometer and one odometer.
- Certain electronic devices permitted with written permission
- Absolutely no GPS mapping units!!